Pastor Found Roaming Village At Night Is Killed

Pastor Found Roaming Village At Night Is Killed
Pastor Found Roaming Village At Night Is Killed

Pastor at a local church in a small village in Likuyani, Kakamega county, was beaten and eventually lynched on suspicion of planning to steal.

Reports indicated that Protus Shichoro was a serving pastor at Muriola African Brotherhood Church in Likuyani at the time of his death.

The incident was confirmed by Mr. Charles Muthui, the Matunda police station OCPD.

According to the area village elders, Ibrahim Mayo and Stephen Mukhongo, the pastor who was not a resident of the area was found roaming the village deep in the night on his bodaboda.

He, however, could not explain what he was doing in the village at such ungodly hour when he asked by the residents.

“I received a call from a villager that someone had been attacked by residents. I contacted my colleague Mr Mukhongo and rushed to the scene where we found him lying unconscious,” said village elder Mayo.According to the elders, they made futile efforts to reach the police by phone in an attempt to rush the suspect to the hospital.  

“We rushed to the Nangili police station in the neighbouring Kongoni area to report the matter, but while we were still at the station, we received the unfortunate information that the suspect had succumbed to his injuries,” said Mukhongo.

According to the OCPD, the suspect was riding his motorbike, had a machete, pliers and a rope on him, which the residents suspected he intended to use to commit theft.

The incident came at a time when the area has been witnessing frequent cases of livestock theft.Hellen Kiyombe, the second wife of the suspect, denied claims that her husband was on a stealing mission.

She maintained that he was a good man, an innocent man who was going about his business.

She said that her husband was a pastor at the Muriola African Brotherhood Church, but was also involved in milk trade business; where he would go round the village collecting milk from farmers.

“My husband was doing his normal daily activities before leaving in the evening to go see his first wife when he met his death,” said the first wife.

The body of the deceased was removed from the scene by police officers and taken to Kitale mortuary. The police have launched investigations into the incident, with residents asked to avoid taking matters into their own hands.